The Benefits Of Baby Massage
Touch is very powerful. We use it naturally and without thinking to calm, relax, reassure or heal. A simple hug says a lot. For example if our baby is upset, we may cuddle them or rub their back.
‘Babies have a biological need for close physical affection. Nothing is more important to their emotional, physical and intellectual development than a comforting cuddle or a loving touch.'(Dr.Lin Day, 2008).
Massaging your baby is an extension of this natural impulse. Infant massage has been around for thousands of years, however in the UK, it has only become popular in the last 10 years. It is a wonderful way of spending quality time with your new baby doing such a simple and beneficial activity together. Studies show that not everyone has ‘love at first sight’ with their baby; (after an initial wave of maternal feelings) nothing can prepare you for this amazing journey as a parent-but we can make it easier on the way!
The long lasting benefits of regular baby massage for infants and parents include:
- Improves the special Parent-baby bond especially for parents going back to work
- Effectively reduces symptoms of colic, painful wind & constipation
- Helps stimulate and support baby’s co-ordination, circulation, digestion, learning & language development
- Encourages baby to sleep better & for sustained periods
- Alleviates nasal congestion & teething pain
- Proven to reduce post natal depression
- Improves skin integrity
- Boosts self esteem & confidence in new mothers
- And most importantly- a relaxing & fun activity for both parent & baby